Monday, August 2, 2010

Love Songs From the Desert: The Roadrunner

I wrote this poem during the Joshua Tree Artist Residency in July 2009. This one was published in the American Free Journal. English edited by Ngoc Luu

The Roadrunner

The roadrunner comes with his clashing beak
begging for food.
He walks with short, quick steps,
wings drooped to his side.
He stops in front of my window
"nose against the glass"
as the tango goes.
I feel pity for him.

I want Baloney! He yells.

When the front door is open he enters,
traverses the living room looking for anything
for himself and family of four.

Sometimes he sits on the stonewall
and watches or follows me
into the bathroom.
Or he spies at me from the other side of the terrace
or the bedroom window
and from there he waits.
Prrrrr! he gawks,
but I don't listen and close the door.

I don't have anymore Baloney, and,
after all,
I don't want to spoil him.

No comments:

Post a Comment